Friday 18 May 2012

Taking a design wall.......

to a whole new level! I wanted to use this design on a quilt that was ready to be quilted. It is Wendy's at Ivoryspring. She has lots to show you if you haven't visited her yet. Anyways, I was practicing this design by drawing it out on paper. It wasn't coming out like I wanted it to. The small piece of paper didn't allow me to get the feel of it. Can you guess what I did?




I drew it on  the wall! It was so freeing and it sure helped me get the feel of it and draw the design the size I wanted to do it on the quilt. I wasn't sure what Hubby would say, but he thought it "looked nice". It gave me the idea to maybe paint that wall with chalk board paint.

Here is what it looked like done on the quilt. What I liked about this design was the little swirly bits. I used them to "fill in" around the flowers. So if I was stuck in a weird place that a flower wouldn't fit, I did a swirl to get out.


As you can see, it is a strip quilt. Don't seem to get tired of this pattern.





I have been sewing strips to paper like you do for foundation piecing. Then you have to rip off all of the paper. Of which I have a pile in my living room as we speak, from the next one in progress. I have since discovered there is a ruler you can use! Did not know there was such a thing. I am getting one!

Going to link up with Pat's TGIFF. 

Hope everyone has a great weekend. In Canada it is a long one.

Watch out for today's blessings.

6 comments:

  1. I love your quilting and your design wall. I would love to hear about how you like chalkboard paint. Sounds cool.

    Thank you so much for linking up to TGIFF!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is gorgeous Donna. I sewed mine to muslin so I wouldn't have to pick paper. It did make it heavy though. Great idea to paint chalk board on the wall. Have a great week-end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your strip blocks and the quilting! Great idea to draw on the wall :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great looking quilt and the colors you picked it is what makes this quilt.The first long weekend of the "summer" season. I will enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your quilting design! Love it that you drew it on your wall first -- I just won't show my kids. LOL. Where are you in Canada? Thanks for linking up to TGIFF!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Donna,

    You will definitely take the quilt design wall to a higher level with that chalk board idea! The flowers turned out gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete